Digital Doors was created as a place for me to blog and share resources that I think would be helpful for teachers integrating technology in meaningful ways in their classroom. My goal would be to write a blog post a week, but with my busy schedule, that doesn't happen. I write when I can and rely on nifty tools to help me share what I am finding when I don't have time to write.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Google Docs Research Tool


As most of you know.  I love Google Docs.  I use Google Docs for so many things.  If I get started sharing all of the ways I use Google Docs with you, it would be a book, not a blog post.  So, in keeping with the spirit of a blog post, I will just share one new feature with you in this post. Google Docs now has a research tool embedded right into Docs.  Now you can use this tool to search, find and cite resources without even leaving your document.  Here is how it works. 

In Google Docs, go to Tools and choose Research.
A research window pops up on the side.
Type in your search topic.  I typed in “Einstein”
It came up with pictures, his date and place of birth, quotes and articles, etc.
Now here’s the cool thing.  I can just drag one of those pictures into my document and it will automatically add a footnote citing the picture correctly.

 

I can hover over the articles and see the webpage.  I can also click to add a link or cite the source. Albert Einstein - Biography[2]

In addition, when I hit the research button, I can choose settings down at the bottom to choose the citation format and image filters by usage rights.  You can also choose to narrow your search by search just images, Scholar, or Quotes.

 “Imagination is more important than knowledge” - Albert Einstein[3]

Pretty slick!  Just another reason to love Google Docs.



[3] "Imagination is more important than knowledge... - The Quotations ..." <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/703.html>

Thanks to Tammy Worcester for sharing this tip. 
Pin It Now!

No comments: